In a rehab situation you get to know all the patients well. But, you really get to know the patients in your own group. The counselors try to split up friends and possible couples into different groups. Obviously it doesn't always work. Most of the friendships that I had were with patients in other groups and most of the couples that occured came from different groups. My best friend in HH was a 28 year old RR employee from Omaha Nebraska named Jed. He was a conductor on the railroad and according to him that was quite an accomplishment at his age. He claimed all the other employees were dumb asses, so when they get a guy with some intelligence they usually promote them quickly. Ya, he was pretty cocky. He did alright with the ladies. Maybe not quite as well as he thought, but I guess he was a handsome enough man. Atleast that's what some of the girls thought in there. there was even a gal in there named Lisa who was madly in love with him. She would literally stalk him. I think she was 19 and she came from a lot of money. She had arrived 2 days after me with her parents from So. Cal. She was a tweaker. Tweakers are kind of at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to drug users. Some call it "speed" others call it "ice" whatever you call it Crystal Meth users don't have a very good reputation. By the time a tweaker gets into rehab they usually have sores all over their face from scabs they pick, they are missing teeth, they are really skinny, and their hair gets all stringy and gross. Most tweakers come to rehab on court orders because they always end up stealing anything to get speed. At some point they get caught and are in trouble. I have heard lots of stories of stuff tweakers have stolen from friends and family that you just would never believe. However, Lisa didn't look too bad yet. She was skinny but not too skinny. she wasn't real cute. I wouldn't say ugly, just not cute. She really lacked self-confidence badly, so it kind of bothered me when Jed would play games with her. He would flirt and then all of a sudden be rude to her and she always took it. I am not sure if Jed ever did anything sexual with her or not. I do know that she would tell him to look into her room at a certain time and she would be on her bed naked. Sometimes Jed would say, "Sammy, go into Lisa's room at 9:15 and take a look and tell me if you think I should do it or not". I just couldn't do it. I kind of liked her in a little sister kind of way. Everything, the whole rehab was a joke to Jed. Once we became friends he wanted to move into my room as room mates because my room was close to Lisa's and Nancy's, who he had a mad crush on. I told him I had a room mate, Kody. So Jed went and asked Kody to trade him. Kody was a dork and a brown noser to all the counselors. He would take the counselors side in any argument and he was loud and talked like a total hick, but we had some good talks at night and he would tell me he liked me and could talk to me about anything (and he did, whoa). So obviously Kody declined Jed's proposal. That evening when Kody went to eat, Jed brought all his stuff to our room, grabbed all Kody's and chucked it on his old bed. When Kody went to his room that night and figured out what had happened he went straight to the nurses and complained. Even though Jed begged him " come on dude, just be cool, please. don't be a dick" but Kody was having none of that. It ended up being a huge ordeal. The next day when all the counselors got there I basically had to choose in front of both of them. I chose Jed. I probably shouldn't have though. It was a tough spot. I think it really hurt Kody. Jed just did what he wanted. Even being at rehab was planned for him. He had been there 4 years earlier. I guess the RR has a rule that the first two times they send you to rehab don't affect your job at all. As long as they are atleast 3 years apart. After that you get demotions, pay decreases and even get fired. Jed told me he planned this whole thing. He went with some buddies to Vegas and drank heavily, took X, and did a bunch of Cocaine. He knew he would be tested when he got home. He knew he would be ok because his last rehab was over 4 years earlier. He also knew this was his last chance but he really didn't have a drug or alcohol problem. I told him it was stupid to wasted both of his rehab benefits, what if he did develope a problem? Now he had no more free passes. He said he needed a month vacation which is what he considered this. to him it really was, I actually think he had a great time. It would be easy if you really had no addiction. It was very hard for me. My legs ached real bad all the time, most of the time all my joints ached, my head never felt clear and ached, I was developing some weird speech problems, basically I felt like shit the whole time.
Sorry, got to go
peace
Monday, July 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment