So Jed and I had become buddies. He was pretty much just messing around and I was taking all very serious because I really needed to get better. It made it kind of hard because he never wanted to do the extra meetings and just wanted to have fun. Every night there would be a meeting in the lunch room. It was either NA, AA or CA. People from the outside would come in for the meetings, some of them were ex-patients and others were just coming to the meetings. We were required to go to the meetings but they didn't really police attendance all the time. Jed would always want to blow off the meetings. I remember I stayed back with him once and it was kind of stupid. We just sat there and talked or listened to music and I liked the meetings. You could really learn a lot from the meetings. the people who came in for these meetings had a lot to offer. Some had 20 years clean, others had less than a week. Hearing them talk could really help you understand what it takes and how hard it is, but that it is possible to get and stay clean. Most of the people smoked and coffee is a must at all the meetings. A lot of the people were preety mean looking with tatoos and big beards but some you would never believe some of the stuff they were saying judging by their appearance. We were allowed to get up and speak at these meetings and I often would. The worst was Kody would speak at every meeting and he would just say the most stupid ass stuff every time.
So I told Jed that I wanted to attend the meetings from now on. I told him to get some of his RR buddies to skip with. About this time I was beginning to hang out with the flower child Jennifer (jen) from my group. I thought she was cool and she made me laugh. She didn't trust many patients or staff but she trusted me and liked me. I don't think the staff was too worried about us becoming a couple because they had seen my wife on visit days and new we were working it out and not splitting up. I think I helped Jen try things that she normally wouldn't have like some of the stupid games they had you play. They tried to teach you that you could have fun even when sober, but the games were kind of lame. I started eating lunch and dinner with Jen so naturally Jed would join us. Soon he started thinking maybe he would try to score with Jen. You know tell me to ask her what she thought of him and stuff and he would flirt with her. He was not her type and she let him know in no uncertain terms. It was cool and I liked it, but it really didn't faze Jed, he just moved on. He moved on mostly to Nancy, the older lady in my group that had 5 kids.
So Jed is really putting the full court press on Nancy. I'll admit she was cute and had a great body. You would never guess she had ever given birth from looking at her body, but you would after she spoke. However, Nancy was spending more and more time with Mick, the 18 year old kid in my group who had lost all the weight. No one thought too much of it because they were such an odd couple. An 18 years old with an acne problem and no self-confidence and a 45-50 year old Mormon housewife and mother of 5 children. Not long after they were seen talking alone during free times they started hugging and touching a little. Then they always wanted to go into the movie room in the evenings and turn the lights out so they could "see the movie better". Soon they were verbally warned by the staff. I took Mick aside a couple of times and asked him what the hell he thought he was doing. I would tell him to just concentrate on this program, get done, get out and find a girlfriend his own age. He would get kind of agitated and argue that age didn't matter to which I would say atleast wait until you graduate. I also reminded Mick of Nancy's family. She had kids and the youngest was only like 7. He didn't care and one visit day her family actually flew in to visit. Her husband just looked tore up. he was a nervous wreck and you could tell he really loved her. Nancy had told us stories in group about how demanding he was and that he was verbally abusive. From looking at him I could kind of picture that behavior. He was a big guy, with a large beard and dressed a little sloppy which was a huge contrast to Nancy. But his eyes looked very kind and worried to me and when he spoke It made it hard to believe some of Nancy's stories. The visit didn't bother Nancy or Mick. The minute her family left they were right back together. I know there was atleast one more verbal warning and they were soon forbidden from talking to each other outside of group. Rumor had it they had been caught kissing, I am pretty sure Kody told on them, that's just something he would do. So they are forbidden to be within 20' of each other now and Mick is just a mess. Crying and complaining all the time. Jen and I tried being nice to him and talking to him we even ate meals with him but all he would do is wine about Nancy. "If they won't let me see her I am going to kill myself. I am not going to eat anything". And he didn't. Then one night I was playing spades in the common area with some of the RR guys. I watched Mick kind of slink into the movie room. After a few minutes I noticed the lights in the room go out. About 10 minutes later sure enough Nancy and her roommate went in. It didn't go unnoticed by the staff. They waited about 10 minutes and busted in and caught them totally going at it. they were making out and groping like 9th graders going at it for the first time. It was a big deal, after they sorted everything out they decided to send Mick home and let Nancy stay on probation. I will finish later, got to get back to work
peace
Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment